Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Homemade Chalk Board Labels

I've wanted some chalkboard labels for the girls craft jars for ages now, but have never gotten around to ordering any. I've been tinkering with the idea of making my own using plain white label stickers and blackboard paint, so today I gave it a go.
It worked perfectly, the results were even better than I had hoped. The stickers dried quickly, remained pliable and wiped clean with no problems.
You could use any shape or size of sticker to create the label you want, you could even use sticker sheets and then cut your own designs from them. Tomorrow we're going to try painting a sheet of plain ordinary kids stickers to see if we can make some labels in fun shapes.
Apologies for the awful quality of the last two photos by the way, I should have waited until daylight tomorrow to take them, but I'm impatient like that ;-)

WE USED:

* plain white label stickers
(I think you could actually use any type of sticker)

* blackboard paint

The process was very simple, I just painted straight over the sticker sheet with blackboard paint using a wide brush. If your stickers are particularly shiny you could do an undercoat of all purpose primer, but we didn't bother.
I really recommend doing this outside if you can, blackboard paint reeks!

The labels came off the sheet cleanly and wiped clean with no problems at all. Perfect!

3 comments:

  1. What an excellent idea, they came out perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So clever Caz!

    Georgia :)

    PS. Will you be watching the rugby on Sunday?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou Kelly! I was excited to see that it worked :-)

    Thanks Georgia! I was just thinking of you the other day and wondering how you were going! I'm actually not much of a rugby fan, but since this is almost a crime in Australia I shall be forced to watch I think haha :-D

    ReplyDelete